Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bonn, Köln, Düsseldorf (10 Jan 2009)

BONN









First stop: Bonn, hometown of Ludwig van Beethoven & the ex-capital of West-Germany. A quiet town, & River Rhein looked very pretty on a cold sunny morning.

KOLN














2nd Stop: Köln, the Kölner Dom waved proudly to me as I stepped out of the Hbf. Looked similar to the one in Strasbourg though. The climb to the top was rather killing for me, esp when it was so cold. The final ascent to the peak was abit scary though, coz I had to climb the metal staircase & it was almost unbearable that I could see how high I was hanging in this miserable cage whilst climbing. (or maybe i am aging, so this fear of heights is biting me?, I was happy to get off that platform!). The aerial view at the top was superb. The Hohenzollernbrücke, with the view of River Rhein, was proof that this was a big city. Then, I visited the Schokoladenmuseum & saw Lindt's chocolae production & many impressive chocolate dispensers of the 50's. I bought 15 bars of chocolates I have never seen b4 as winter companions at home. The guide told me that there is a Rittersport museum-factory near Stuttgart (I am now trying to find how to go there in Jan, as a shopping place to pick up these cute square blocks to bring back to Sg)




Last stop: Düsseldorf, the shopping paradise of Germany. I was bombarded by a huge shopping crowd that brought back memories of Orchard Rd(between Ngee Ann City & Paragon). Yup, nothing fantastic abt this city, except for throngs of high-end boutiques & many clothes shops. The view of Rhein was nothing as impressive, coz no one was sitting outside at the terraces. And me as usual, went shopping for all kinds of pastries & cookies(Ja! they also have bakeries like the super-ex Breadtalk & Baker Depot).

Cuddling at home on a Sonntag, coz this crazy weather isnt getting any better, -14°C isnt getting me anywhere near the door. Luckily I bought many foodstuff yesterday in Köln & Düsseldorf so I can party today at home :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

let me know if u do decide to go to stuttgart! im interested in ritter sports!